July 5, 2009

Sparkler Painting



For a self-portrait, set your shutter on the low low and go to town. Then flip the image horizontally. If someone is taking the picture for you, set the shutter to Bulb. The shutter will stay open for as long as they hold down the button, allowing you to write a really long message. In either case, amp up the aperature to 22 or higher.
Try different lights: laser pointers in different colors, flashlights. I experimented with a square shaped light that produced thick white strokes like graffiti.
Don't let those sparklers go to waste. Try writing a love note or drawing a picture (especially contours) with light!

10 comments:

kelsie said...

Awesome! This is so beautiful! Thanks for the info on this :)

miakodo said...

That is the greatest thing I've seen this week! Now I'm going to have to dig into my camera manual to figure out what you are talking about, because I'd love to write a love letter.

Unknown said...

!!!!! fantastic!!!!

One Crabapple said...

yay ! coool

THANKS !

Anonymous said...

This is such a TERRIFIC idea for a summer night with friends! And your photo turned out so well. You know, your name (blog name) suits being spelled out with a sparkler. Your blog is a wonderful world of art and creative thinking. Thank you for the lesson. :)

Anonymous said...

how freakin awesome is that! your so cool laura!
xoxo

Ingrid said...

i simply adore your art - it inspires me so very, very much. i'm passing along the "one lovely blog" award in thanks for the inspiration, and i do hope you return to blogging soon!

http://www.mypeacetree.blogspot.com/2009/10/one-lovely-blog-award.html

lynnspirit said...

I miss your posts!! Please start writing and sharing your photos again!

Anonymous said...

I really, really really really really REALLY MISS U!!!

Elizabeth, Delightfully Tacky said...

Hey! You won my giveaway! Email me at delghtfully-tacky@hotmail.com so I can put you in contact with Noble Town Vintage!